Friday, February 17, 2006

Philosophy

To be a proper intellectual, one has to be into all those deep sort of questions- 'what is truth?' 'how do we know that we really exist?', etc ad infinitum.
I find that I simply do not have the patience for this sort of thing. I was talking to a friend a couple of days ago about Des Cartes and we got into the whole 'How do we know that we exist question?' Or at least started to. But my general feeling was, "Okay, whatever I've got sure feels like existance to me. Let's say, theoretically, it isn't. So what?" And that's where I run into trouble- with that persistant, annoying little so what. Let's say that all of our perceptions of everything are different- that what I see as blue, you see as red. So what? If I say 'pass me that blue book', you'll know which one I'm talking about, right? And I'll end up with the book that I wanted, right? So what's the problem? And if I describe something as blue, it'll have all the same sky/water/bluebirds connections in your head as it does in mine. So who cares?
I think that this is why I'm a geek and not an intellectual.

No comments: